Friday, November 27, 2009

Judas Priest: Interview with Rob Halford to Rock Confidential


Rob, thanks for making time for this today. It’s great to talk with you.

Jesse, it’s nice to have a chance to talk to you about what’s going on in the world of metal.

First off, I have to tell you – I’ve always noticed with your releases that you make sure the fans have quality products to keep them happy.

Thank you. I’m glad you recognize that. I really appreciate that. Most of my friends around the world, like yourself, rarely pick up on that point. Jesse, to me the launch of Metal God Entertainment was a chance to display what we’re about. We’ve had a very successful run of reissuing the Fight and Halford stuff and we’re focusing on the launch of Metal God Apparel and the Metal God record label. The philosophy behind that is to do the best we can and make sure when you give us your money that you get something decent back.

The attention to detail is something that excites me. It doesn’t have to even be a celebrity such as yourself, but when someone builds a brand on their name and takes the pride to make sure it delivers on all fronts – that means a lot to me.

I don’t take all of the credit for that and I never would. I’m surrounded by very talented people that have a lot of energy and have the same passion that I do. We all connect so the final result is tremendous.

Are you as hands on as it appears with each piece of product you release?

I don’t count for every bit of what happens. I’m there as a conduit. I’m constantly in touch with designers – primarily Mark Sasso, who works on all of the designs for Metal God Apparel. My manager, John Baxter, who runs the day to day operations of Metal God Entertainment through his company EMAS. Chip Ruggieri is my main guy for PR and all things associated with my solo activity. The final stamp of approval has to come from me. I’m always there in the mix.

Let’s talk about the clothing line. How did you know Metal God Apparel was something you wanted to pursue? How did you develop ideas for the designs?

When I opened my closet door everything in there was black! Black tshirts, black pants, black boots. I love black because it’s heavy metal, but let’s try to lighten it up a tad. The fun of merchandise with Priest or my solo endeavours has always been being involved in the creation of those items. This is just an extension of that, really. How far can we go? What can we do next? How can we take the Metal God brand and put it into some kind of clothing experiment? The tried and trusted tshirt was the first way to move forward. These first 13 or so designs are the first run. We’re going to branch out into a more comprehensive display for the Magic Convention in Vegas next year. We’ll hopefully have about 30 designs by then. Beyond that we’re pretty optimistic about where else we might go. We’re still new. We’ve got a long way to go yet. The first launch has been very well received. I’m grateful to everybody that’s taking to it and enjoying it.

The cool thing is the designs are inspired by songs from your catalog. Is that something the artist ran with? How did that come together?

You totally nailed it, Jesse. Mark Sasso is an incredible talent. He basically listens to the solo material, reads the lyrics, comes to my shows. He has a very fertile imagination. Out of all of those different points he comes up with those fantastic displays.

I remember reading a quote from you when you were talking about yourself on stage and you used the words “strength, power and determination”. You also said you wanted those words to come across visually in your clothing. How do those three words fit into your apparel line?

I think the visual is the statement. The Cerberus shirt, for example. The Steel Wings one. Pray For Rock N Roll. They say a picture’s worth a 1,000 words, don’t they? We’re all drawn to imagery. Imagery controls everything we do in life. It’s on the Internet, newspapers, television, the streets, the movies. I think those elements – strength, power, determination, passion and energy – is a way of pushing those feelings into the graphic we may use.

I’m sure you feel different before you go on stage. You have to feel like a different being when you’re getting ready to go on stage to a massive crowd.

I do. It’s bizarre. I was thinking about this the other night. I came off stage in Tokyo a couple of weeks ago and I’d just played to 15,000 Japanese metalheads. I was laying in bed at two in the morning thinking about what I did and it was like another person was doing it. It’s like going outside of my body and looking at myself! It’s great and I love it. You’re going out there and you’re living something. It’s live and it’s a different world. When I come off stage, shower, change, eat and go back to the hotel – I’m no longer the same person that was on stage. You really have to work hard to be able to seperate those things. Some people can’t do that. I need to be able to push my shopping cart around Ralph’s and get the milk, bread and juice! I learned how to do that years ago and I have a wonderful life.

Speaking of “a wonderful life,” that is the perfect lead-in to discuss your Christmas CD! You started writing and arranging this record last year, right?

Once we greenlighted the project everybody went to work.

What ideas did you initially have going into this project that you knew you had to happen?

We looked for material that we knew could be given the Halford stamp. You’ve got to be able to give it your own texture and impression. That was important. The arrangements were important, to make sure we could “metalize” them. The traditional songs like “We Three Kings” and “O Holy Night” and “O Come All Ye Faithful” mean a lot to me as a person on a spiritual level and for the traditional holiday spirit.

Think of the people 20 or 25 years ago that would have completely freaked out that Rob Halford from Judas Priest was going to release a Christmas album!

Isn’t it great!? This record’s already getting some push back. What the hell are you doing releasing a Christmas record? You’re the Metal God! That’s the passion of the fans. It’s definitely got a reaction from people and I love that. That’s what I do best! Rattling a few cages every now and then has to be alright. That’s what rock ‘n roll is about, right?

Somebody somewhere has to be offended. That’s a sign you’re doing something right! You mentioned a few songs that were especially important to you on this record. Does any song stand out as one that was a blast to arrange and work on in the studio?

Yeah. “O Come All Ye Faithful” and “We Three Kings.” I just felt wonderful singing into the mic. It was like that moment had been waiting to happen forever. It was a very satisfying, moving time for me to sing some of those songs and have them recorded forever. It’s something I always wanted to do. It was important…I was determined to do something like this. It was so much fun I’m going to do another one.

Was this something you knew you wanted to do for a while but were hesitant because of other things going on in your life?

I think that’s a fair observation to consider. I’ve never been a person that’s afraid of anything. I don’t think that’s what life is about. I think life is about living it to the maximum. Life is a gift and it should be treasured. Put as much in as you can and give as much as you can. This moment has been destined to happen. Maybe it’s because I’m getting older but this is important to me. I can’t wait to be with family and friends around the holidays and have it playing in the background.

Is there a chance you’ll do any of these songs live?

I’d like to, Jesse. I’m determined to do another record and I think if you have enough for an entire show you’ll have the Metal God Christmas Show! Everything that I do as a performer is all about doing something that you’ve not tackled previously. Why not? Even if I only do it once. That may be next year but it will happen.

I can see it now. You’ve got the Santa suit on…

(laughs) The black leather suit trimmed in white fur! I think that would be a lot of fun to do. It’s all about having a good time.

Rob, thanks again for taking time out for us today. What would you like to say to the Rock Confidential readers and your Metal God followers?

Thank you for supporting my endeavours and all of my musical adventures – Judas Priest and my solo activities. We’re all part of the Metal Community. We’re watching each other’s back and I thank you for supporting me.